Sunday, July 26, 2009

Mirror Mirror..Where do the days go??





The last couple weeks have just flown by. I haven't had the time to post anything as I was preparing for my trip to Florida to see my grandson. We must have priorities!

But I have been "re-purposing" a few items, and my husband has really been enjoying the fancy tablescapes. He said it makes my cooking taste better..wasn't sure how to take that comment.

So last Monday when I was out shopping for clothes that fit to take to Florida (I hate getting old & fat), I ran in my favorite thrift/consignment shop and spotted this vintage 70's gold plastic mirror. Grabbed it immediately..
This is funny...the first picture I took, I didn't realize my feet were in the picture...and I have NO idea why my ankles look two-toned, must be a shadow.

ANYHOW.....

The mirror sure was dirty but I really liked the detail with the roses and scrolls.
With a little elbow grease, LA Totally Awesome cleaner ($1.00 at Dollar General...it works GREAT on everything) and a scrubby pad I got the years of dust and gunk off of it. Grabbed a can of Fusion paint and turned it White.

Then I lighted sanded it on the high spots so the gold could show through....so Shabby Chic huh??


This post completely done while sitting on the beach in the sand...are you jealous???? I'm off to hunt for seashells to glue on something.


10 comments:

  1. Wow! This is one of those ah ha moments for me. I would have passed up that mirror because of the gold. Now, after seeing this, I'll be more apt to look a little closer.

    Nice job. It turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin this!!! the white will be such a great spot on your home.

    TTFN~~Claudia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jealous.
    Isn't it great to be able to see the beauty in something old and not so pretty?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, green with envy! I love it! It does have great detail. And the paint job really spices it up!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, you did great ! I have a gold plastic 70's mirror I did too ! Mine is black, come visit me on my blog sometime ! I added my name to follow you, cuz a girl has to have followers :o)
    Welcome to blogland !
    Hugs ~ Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh! I really love that. I picked up a couple of gold frames at a garage sale. Now I know what to do with them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so pretty! that mirror has such great detail. i recently painted a couple of gold mirrors white too, i love that look. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great find!! I have a gold mirror that I didn't know what to do with it...thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny but I had a mirror like this many years ago and got rid of it. After looking at yours I wish I had it back. It looks great!
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Great vision to see it as it could be.

    ReplyDelete